More than 2 million casualties are registered each year worldwide due to mosquito-related diseases. While many municipal corporations take active measures to eradicate mosquitoes from localities, these efforts can sometimes be insufficient in fully protecting people from mosquitoes and the diseases they can carry. Therefore, taking a few steps to eliminate the problem from the root level is essential. Children and senior citizens are most vulnerable to diseases borne by mosquitos. One of the most potent ways to safeguard health is by mosquito-proofing your house. From using effective tick and mosquito spray to taking active measures to not allow breeding grounds for mosquitoes, following some simple tips can help you in the long run and provide you with a pest-free environment easily. Here is a list of all the essential tips that can be used to safeguard your sweet abode.
Using Insect Repellents And Sprays
Insect repellents are very effective against mosquitoes if used both inside and outside the house. Effective mosquito repellents include diethyltoluamide (DEET) and picaridin. If you see swarms of mosquitoes flying inside, then use knockdown sprays to kill them instantly. Using diffusers with repellents is usually recommended for outdoor areas like decks and verandahs. It is advised to use the diffusers cautiously as the smoke from the repellents can be dangerous for little children and people with respiratory ailments. Mosquito coils can be used for outdoor settings as well.
Using Natural Repellents
If you observe sensitive reactions to chemical repellents, here are some natural repellents that can help in warding off mosquito bites
- Mix lemon eucalyptus oil with witch hazel or sunflower oil and use it generously on your clothes and body.
- Lavender flowers, when crushed, produce a fragrance that repels mosquitoes. You can use the crushed flowers to apply on bite-sensitive areas of the body.
- Although concentrated cinnamon oil can irritate the skin, using dilute cinnamon oil is an effective repellent against mosquito bites.
These essential oils should not be directly used on the skin without diluting with a carrier. Effective carriers that can be used are almond oil and coconut oils. Since natural ingredients are used in the process, there is a high risk of developing allergic reactions. If you observe fever, development of hives, and difficulty breathing, contact your nearest medical facility immediately. While using repellent creams on your skin, medical professionals recommend using sunscreen 20 minutes before using the repellents. Once the sunscreen gets absorbed into the skin thoroughly, apply the repellent layer. Combining sunscreen and repellents is not recommended at all costs.
Eradicate Mosquito Breeding Grounds
Mosquitoes can breed in the tiniest amount of stagnant water. Therefore, remove any source that can become a breeding ground for the mosquitoes, like unused pots, tires, or containers. Cover wheelbarrows or trailers to obstruct water pooling. Mend leaking taps, and if you have drinking bowls for birds, ensure they are also frequently changed. Frequently potted plants can be the breeding ground of mosquitoes as well. Cover the area around the pots with sand to absorb any stagnant water. Swimming pools should be well maintained. Chlorine the pools and ensure it is well covered when not in use. Gardens and lawns should be trimmed regularly, and fishponds should be kept with minimum vegetation over the edges. Ensure debris is not allowed to collect near your house, and trash should be disposed off properly.
If, despite following different measures, you see mosquitoes swarming your place, using physical barriers is recommended. Close your windows and door tightly during peak hours so mosquitoes cannot enter the house. You can use mosquito screens on your doors and windows. You can use netting to provide extra protection if you have a baby.
Using Natural Measures
While chemical methods have proven effective, it is not uncommon to observe people becoming susceptible to the chemicals used and developing respiratory or other related ailments. Here are some natural tested methods to mosquito-proof your house instead
- Creating an environment that mosquitoes will hate will prevent the growth and survival of the mosquito breeding grounds. You can plant mosquito-repellent plants like mint, lemongrass, marigold, or tulsi to act as insect repellents.
- You can use a concoction of specific ingredients found easily in your kitchen to ward off mosquitoes. One of the popular methods used by grandmothers is to insert cloves in lemon to repel mosquitoes. If you do not have cloves or lemon handy, crush some garlic cloves and collect the juice from spraying along the window panels.
- Mosquitoes are attracted to stagnant water as it proves to be suitable habitats for breeding grounds. This can be used to your advantage. You can keep a mixture of soapy water near your window and door. Mosquitoes can be tricked into thinking as a breeding ground, drawing them in and plummeting them to death. Ensure there is a thick foam on the soapy water.
- Did you know rubbing alcohol or beer can also be used to repel mosquitoes? The offensive aroma from alcohol drives away the mosquitoes. Therefore, place an alcohol dish near the windows to combat mosquitoes.
Create The Ambience
Citronella oil has been extensively used in repellents, creams, and sprays to ward off mosquitoes. For outdoors, you can use citronella candles to use the smoke as a repellent. You can also close all windows and light camphor, which will help repel all the mosquitoes in the house. If lighting camphor seems to be a hassle, purchase camphor pills from the market and drop them in a bowl of water to produce an aroma naturally that will help you safeguard your home. If you have a fireplace, you can use pinion wood as the fragrance perishes mosquitoes effectively.
Mosquitoes are carriers of some deadly ailments like chikungunya, dengue, and malaria that cause several casualties each year; but mentioned above are just some of the best effective methods to eradicate the nuisance. The key is to maintain a clean environment. Dispose off your waste correctly, remove debris, and ensure mosquitos do not find any breeding grounds. You can seek professional expertise and frequently spray your home with bugs and mosquito repellents to ensure your abode is entirely safe for your loved ones.