The main difference between both the jewelry is defined by the type of metal that is used in the making. Fine jewelry is made with original gold, silver and platinum all original of course whereas jewelry that is made with anything else such as aluminum, copper, brass, base metal or bronze, leather, plated metals or any other kind is the fashion jewelry.
A gold ring which is made up of 14kt with genuine turquoise cabochon will be made up of fine jewelry.
On the other hand, a brass ring which is made up of the same kind of genuine turquoise cabochon but will be gold plated will be called as fashion jewelry.
Freshwater pearls that are hand-knotted and made with genuine 14kt gold will be made up of fine jewelry.
On the other hand, freshwater pearls which are made up of gold-plated brass will be classified as fashion jewelry.
In order to find out whether the jewelry is made up of fine or fashion jewelry, you have to find the metal hallmark so that you can be confirmed.
Costume jewelry is a term that has not been used for a long time and when I asked about it to some professionals, I was told that this word was in common in the 1990s, a time when fashion jewelry was imported from Taiwan and very different back then.
Fashion jewelry can be electroplated so well that its plating will never change. However, because it is still a non-precious metal it will come under the category of fashion jewelry.
The price does not have anything to do with the type of jewelry. This is because the best kinds of jewelry are made up of fashion jewelry, for instance, French, Italian and even the US design houses jewelry are of fashion jewelry. They are available from as little as 100 dollars to as high as 2000 dollars. They come under the heading of designer jewelry but they are classified as fashion jewelry.
The main difference between fashion and fine jewelry is the type of metal, the genuineness of the stones, as well as the quality used in its making. Fine jewelry has a long life and will continue to generations. Fine jewelry can also be used as a great investment or else as something which can be passed down to other members of the family. Fine jewelry is made up of silver, gold, and platinum.
On the other hand, fashion jewelry is not made of expensive metals, or precious pearls, natural gemstones and diamonds. In fashion jewelry, the metal is precious but the surroundings or the outline of the metal are manufactured. If the main stone is manufactured and the outline is natural and pure, it is known as costume jewelry.
Fine jewelry is made up of very precious metals, gemstones as well as pearls.
- The materials of fine jewelry are real gold, platinum metals, and sterling silver. The gems of fine jewelry are tourmaline, morganite, chalcedony, alexandrite, amethyst, diamond, padparadscha, garnet, aventurine, beryl, lapiz lazuli, citrine, aquamarine, almendite, andradite, peridot, opal, pezzottaite, sapphire, scapolite, tsavorite, tanzanite, indoclite and jade.
- The pearls that are used in the making of fine jewelry include Chinese freshwater, Akoya, south sea baroque, Majorca, Tahitian, mabe, keshi, hybrid, freshwater, biwa and of course natural pearls.
- Fine jewelry is also made up of precious metals and then also plated up with precious metals.
- Fashion jewelry is not made of expensive and precious metals but the metal can be precious and then plating is done. The metals included in the fashion jewelry are brass, copper, cobalt, stainless steel, titanium, tungsten, and iron pyrite.
- The gems used in making fashion jewelry include tiger eye, Flourite, Lemon Quartz, Prasiolite-Quartz, Pink Quartz, Chrysoprase, Zircon Gemstone, Kunzite, Blue Zircon, Amazonite, Tashmarine Diopside, Rutilated Quartz, Strontium Titanate, Brazanite, Amber, Goshenite, Andalusite, Blue Chalcedony, Marcasite, FluoriteGreen Chalcedony, Sardonyx, Scapolite, Ametrine, Prehnite, Turquoise, Rhodochrosite, Bloodstone, Chrome Diopside, Serpentine, Moissanite, Pink Chalcedony, Purple Spinel, Moonstone, Moldavite, Amblygonite, Shanseres, , Sphalerite, Quartz, Rose Quartz, Smoky Quartz, Hauyne, Hematite, Cinnabar, Chrysoberyl, Hiddenite, Cat’s Eye, Drusy Quartz, Copper Sunstone, Sunstone Feldspar, Ammolite, Azurite, Coral, Mother of Pearl, Ouro Verde Quartz, Petalite, Danburite, Orange Chalcedony, Hessonite, Labradorite, Cubic Zirconia, Zoisite, Kyanite, MalachiteMedusa Quartz, Diopside, Sphene, Spinel, Diaspore, Green Quartz, Agate, Iolite, Lavender Chalcedony, Howlite, Jasper, Jet, Onyx, Zandrite, and Sodalite.
- The pearls used in making fashion jewelry include faux pearls and simulated pearls. Fashion jewelry is made using the brass, titanium, tungsten, cobalt, iron, copper and iron pyrite and then it is plated.
- There are some other materials used in making fashion jewelry as well that include rhinestone, shell, wood, leather, plastic, enamel, horn, glass and epoxy.
More about fine jewelry
Fine jewelry can be used for many purposes such as beauty, quality as well as durability. The quality of the fine jewelry is such that no other duplicate or imitation can make such jewelry. Fine jewelry lasts for a lifetime. Fine jewelry is evergreen and you can wear it all the time without worrying about the trends.
Fine jewelry can be especially worn on special events, job interviews, engagements, dining and on dancing occasions. If you are ever unsure about which type of jewelry to wear, you should always opt to wear fine jewelry.
Some more about fashion jewelry
Fashion jewelry is made from copper, brass, iron, aluminum and some other metals. Even man-made materials, as well as acrylic, is used in their making. Fashion jewelry is plated with some other precious metals however its base is always of a non-precious metal hence the quality and the reasoning behind the quality as compared to fine jewelry.
You can wear fashion jewelry for a shorter time as compared to fine jewelry. Where fine jewelry is evergreen and its quality will never deteriorate such is not the case with fashion jewelry. It is short-lived and the trends involving fashion jewelry also keep on changing with time.